Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Because I receive email via Yahoo, I see the front page of Yahoo Mail often, and I have been struck anew in the past few weeks at how monumentally stupid the five headlines I'm faced with invariably are. This one, though takes the cake. "Oscar-nominated films are often small, dark and unintended for mass audiences; they're about art, after all, not commerce"--the author actually believes this, or at least says it with a straight face. Where would you like to begin with that one? Just to stick to my conscious lifetime: Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances with Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Titanic, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Return of the King, Crash, The Departed. Amazing what a tiny enclave of pure aesthetes those Best Picture winners appeal to, no?