Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sasha speaks the goddamned truth about listening parties and advances. In an indirect way, this strikes close to home today, because I got an advance from a large label of a large band that I cannot play on my computer, and because I only listen to music on my computer (sorry, home-stereo equipment salespeople), I cannot listen to it. I don't want to minimize the niceness of the people involved on the other end of this transaction. I didn't ask for the record, I have no plans to review it anywhere, and they asked if they could send it to me anyway; they didn't have to, and it's appreciated. But seriously, many if not most of us listen to music on our computers now. It's really, really common. And it's folly to expect us to change that because an exec worries about their bottom line.