So here’s the way this is going to work: When I have ten new (meaning recently released or about to be released, also meaning 2007 and very late 2006) songs I like a lot, I will post them here, alphabetically by artist as deemed by iTunes’ alphabetization system. (Right--false alphabetization, sort of like false metal for librarians.) As usual with me, this means one song per artist and/or album. It also guarantees nothing. I realize this will raise the eyebrows if not ire of the spectacular-or-else brigade, but while I sympathize, it’s worth keeping in mind that one man’s spectacular is someone else’s come-fucking-on, as for me a whole lot of Jackin’ Pop demonstrated. It should also be noted that a few of the selections will be good songs from otherwise useless albums, and I’ll note when that’s the case.
I don’t get records sent my way as much as I used to, so my selections will probably by circumstance be somewhat haphazard. But I’m also planning to track down more stuff that’s not necessarily in my ken this year, for a forthcoming project I’ll talk more about soon. Anyway, ten good songs before the end of January isn’t bad at all.
• Aril Brikkha, “Winter” (Kompakt)
• Beirut, “Scenic World (Version)” (Ba Da Bing!)
• Duoteque, “Amarcord (My My Remix)” (Boxer Sport)
• Juergen Paape, “Takethis” (Speicher)
• Kalabrese ft. Guillermo Sohr, “I Can Not Hide Anymore” (Stattmusik)
• Kieran Hebden and Steve Reid, “Our Time” (Domino)
• LCD Soundsystem, “Us V. Them” (Capitol)
• Maxime Dangles, “POF 807” (K2)
• Of Montreal, “A Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger” (Polyvinyl)
• Superpitcher, “Lick the Pipe” (Speicher)