Friday, June 09, 2006

I've been badgering friends to learn bridge since I was a teenager--yes, contract bridge, or "the old-lady game" as it's been endlessly referred to in some way or other since I started getting interested in it. One of the great things about living in New York the first time was meeting a bunch of people around my age who were deeply interested in the game, and though my man Neal and I were both players, we never really got anything going in Seattle. But a month ago, I played a full 18-hand game with the friends I'd played with in NYC the first time around, and it was exhilirating; I was hooked again, and decided to get serious. So I've been dealing hands to myself and doing some reading; I'm not any better yet, but I'm getting there. Part of that process is starting Seven Notrump, a new blog with my man Paul Eater (the linchpin of the aforementioned NYC young-players' group) in which I chronicle my ongoing education in the game, and where Paul will hopefully be gentle in telling me I have no idea what I'm doing.